I hope that you are enjoying this beautiful summer. Personally, I cannot believe how quickly summertime has flown by.
In the time before school begins I will be wrapping up household projects, enjoying my swimming pool, and celebrating family birthdays. In between these last planned summer activities, I will be busy preparing our classroom for a fantastic year.
I’ve put together a Wish List of items we use in our classroom. You may bring them at our Open House or have your child bring them the first day of school. Any donation is greatly appreciated.
Georgetown’s Open House on Thursday, August 24th @ 6:30! I am looking forward to seeing all of you there.
Enjoy the rest of your summer!
I am VERY excited to meet all of you and begin our school year together!
~ Mrs. Burdis
Did you know that every BOXTOP and every COKE CAP collected earns money for our school? This summer we would like you to work hard to collect both. The money we earn will go toward a basketball hoop on our K/1 playground!
BOXTOPS: Every completed BOXTOP sheet is worth $5.00. If every child from Georgetown (approx 550) fills one sheet this summer, our school will earn $2,750. Many thanks to Lori Simpson and all of you who are on her team of BOX TOP counters, trimmers, and packers. This is a great program that pays off because of all of YOU! Download your form here: Summer Box Tops
COKE CAPS: Super easy. Save the caps and go online to enter collection! COKE WEBSITE (https://us.coca-cola.com/give/) Select Georgetown Elementary and enter the code on the cap. Now you can recycle the cap. No need to send it to school.
Keep On Learning With Reading & Mobymax
Studies have shown that students can lose up to 50% of learning during the summer vacation. Georgetown is challenging you and your child to “KEEP ON LEARNING” this summer to prevent summer slide. There are two ways to record your learning time:
- Reading: Log into this form to record the number of minutes you read. You can record each day or enter the total for each week.
- MOBYMAX Math and Reading: We recommend that each child consistently uses MobyMax each week in the core areas of reading and mathematics. If interesting, you can also choose to work on other learning modules. Spending just a few minutes each day on Mobymax will help to reduce “summer slide” and keep your child’s learning skills fresh over the summer.
Our goals for students over the summer are below. Students who reach or exceed goals will be entered in a drawing for an Amazon Gift Card (1 per grade). This is for their grade next year.
- First Grade: 100 minutes
- Second Grade: 200 minutes
- Third Grade: 300 minutes
- Fourth Grade: 400 minutes
- Fifth Grade: 400 minutes
- First Grade: 100 pts
- Second Grade: 200 pts
- Third Grade: 300 pts
- Fourth Grade: 400 pts
- Fifth Grade: 500 pts
If you’d like to be part of Georgetown’s challenge to “Keep On Learning” please follow the instructions below. If your child is new to the school and you would like login information, email Mrs. Reagan. firstname.lastname@example.org
Have a great summer…and keep on learning with READING and MOBYMAX!
- Go to www.mobymax.com/ mi1457 and enter your child’s username and password to access his or her account. Username: _________ Password: ___________
Explore placement tests, lessons and much more! Mobymax will automatically increase skill level based on your student’s performance.
I hope the summer is finding everyone happy and healthy. Below is a post of suggested school supplies for the upcoming school year. Please check back occasionally as I will be updating our classroom blog to best serve our classroom in the upcoming school year!
Have a safe and fun Fourth of July!
Supply List Needed for the Classroom That Will Assist You
- (2) writing composition books
- (5) pocket folders: red, purple, yellow, green, blue (plastic folders work best, but are not required)
- (2) spiral notebooks (wide rule)
- (1) 3-ring binder (1 inch)
- (2) dry erase markers for your whiteboard work (the thin ones work best)
- (2) glue sticks
- extra pencils
- colored pencils or crayons
- small (5×8) pencil box to store your supplies
Each Student Should Bring One Each for the Classroom to Share
- Clorox Wipes (any disinfectant disposable wipes)
- Box of Tissue
Highly Recommended Item
- Gym shoes to be left at school for Physical Education class