I hope everyone is cozy and warm on this cold winter day. It looks like we will have many opportunities for lake effect snow in the next many days. The classroom has been on the chilly side, so please layer those kids up in clothing to keep them warm! 🙂
Below is our 5th grade update. Please note the Social Studies section. A review sheet went home on Friday, but I have linked one on this posting as well.
T.E.A.M. classes began this past Wednesday with the Ottawa County Sheriff’s Office and will continue for the next 6 weeks.
Reminder-When your son our daughter is using Math Facts Pro please make sure they are signing in to their account. Students should be using Math Facts Pro at home several times per week.
Math: We have been multiplying with whole numbers and decimal numbers and will be finishing this unit this week. Please continue to have your son/daughter sign in and practice their math facts on Math Facts Pro several times per week.
Social Studies: We are wrapping up our study of early colonization and will testing soon. Our test will be on Tuesday, January 12. Here is a Study Guide. Our next unit will focus more deeply on the economic development and growth of the colonies and slavery.
We have started our unit on historical fiction. Students will be reading historical fiction in book clubs and then writing their own historical fiction pieces.
A review sheet went home today for science class. We will have a digestive system quiz on Monday, December 8th. Students, click here if you want to hear the digestion song. Have fun eating up this information!
Holiday Breakfast sign up.
- Identify the 7 Native American regions on a map
- Name one way the Southwest Native Americans adapted to their environment and one way they modified their environment.
- Name one way the Northwest Pacific Native Americans adapted to their environment and one way they modified their environment.
Understand these ideas about Eastern Region Native Americans:
- They traded to survive more successfully in their natural environment
- The region had a variety of natural resources: forests, rivers, farmland, marshes, woodlands, hills and mountains, etc.
- They adapted to their environment by being part of a family and a clan.
- The 5 nations were in conflict until they formed a confederation. (Iroquois Confederation)
- They believed that you couldn’t own the land, you could only use it.
We will be having a pizza party to conclude our S.A.V.E. program on Wednesday. If your child would like to have pizza they need to bring in $1.00 per/slice by Wednesday, March 19. We will be ordering that morning and eating at our usual time. Each child also is responsible to bring in their own soft drink. If your child chooses not to order pizza that is perfectly fine. Hot lunch is still available and bringing in a cold lunch is perfectly fine.
5th Grade Celebration t-shirts orders are due March 19. Order Form
Our visit to Baldwin Middle School is on Friday, March 21.
- There will be a vocabulary quiz for Social Studies during scheduled classroom computer days.
- Don’t forget to log your minutes read and have it here on Monday.
- Health video will be shown April 3. More information will be coming home soon.